Saturday, February 15, 2014

One Review of my 2013 reads

Those Across the RiverThose Across the River by Christopher Buehlman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

While this is a wonderful Old School horror story, it goes much deeper than mere werewolves

Frank Nichols is a haunted man.....Haunted by his memories of the First World War.....Haunted by an incident perpetrated by his Great Grandfather, after the Civil War.....Guilt-ridden by his relationship with his "not yet" wife (Adultery was a Big Deal, back in the 1920s-1930s). This man is fated for some bad shit..

I never saw this book as a Werewolf story...although i love the Good Ones

I'm going out on a limb, here...

I think this is a story about Guilt, Regret, and Fear

Frank Nichols was an Academic who fell in Lust with a colleague's wife...he inherited a house in Whitbrow, Georgia (a welcome escape from his Academic failure, in Chicago) and headed South, to start a new life....and write a book about the family Black Sheep......and THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER


****I lost my original review......bear with me****


No matter how Black the Sheep....Frank Nichols was caught in his own Vortex, unable to change the past, and uncertain of his future.....from that point, Werewolves would have been a blessing, although they walked in Human Skin...when times were difficult

This is one of the saddest books i have read, lately.....and I highly recommend it to anyone, who likes to step beyond Genres

No comments: